AVOIDING OR REDUCING ELECTROMAGNETIC STRESS – SMART METERS AND MICROWAVE GENERATORS
By Lawrence Wilson, MD
Electromagnetic stress is the subtle, or not so subtle, effects of stray or chaotic electrical and magnetic fields on the human body. It is an important cause of stress today for almost everyone. It is particularly bad for people in certain occupations such as airline personnel and those that work with computers, television sets, for example. In this article, electromagnetic fields will be abbreviated as EMFs.
A CRITICAL ALERT
Recently, I have become aware of the dangers of Smart Electric Meters and the proliferation of microwave generators that look exactly like cell phone towers, but are not cell phone towers. Instead, they are powerful microwave generators that have only one purpose – to disrupt the human body and harm people. They are springing up all over the world, but particularly in the United States and Europe.
If you notice these in your area, please write to your Congressman complaining about them. This is the only way our government will become informed so they can be stopped. This is nothing less than a kind of cyber-war or psychotronic attack on people’s health, and nothing less.
GENERAL INFORMATION ABOUT EMFs
One hears quite a range of information about EMFs. Some people basically ignore them and dismiss any mention of them as a health problem. Others are concerned, but don’t feel they are really so bad.
Still others, however, are severely affected by them and find they are a terrible problem today, especially in America and Europe, although they are a growing threat everywhere in the civilized world. I tend to agree with the latter, as a physician, and it is time more people realized that living around stray and usually harmful electromagnetic fields is dangerous and stupid, and needs to be stopped. There is a need for informing many more people, as well as our health and governmental authorities, of the dangers of electromagnetic stress.
Sensitivity varies greatly, but all are affected.
Some people apparently are not bothered by even strong electromagnetic fields. Others are so sensitive they cannot live in cities, cannot drive in cars or fly in aircraft, and can hardly function around cell phone towers, smart meters, and other powerful sources of EMFs. This is the main reason for so much controversy over this problem.
I believe, however, that we are all affected by EMFs. It is just that some people are either healthier or less aware, so they do not realize it. This is analagous to the effects of junk food or sugar, for example. Some people seem to be unaffected by them, while other notice immediately when they eat poor quality food. I know from testing thousands of people, however, that in reality, we are all affected by junk food, whether we feel it or not. So it is with electromagnetic stress.
Where they are found. Stray electrical and magnetic fields are found in most homes, almost all work environments, on the streets of most towns and cities, on aircraft, ships, automobiles, buses and most other places. In fact, the only places that tend to be free of them are very rural areas where no one lives such as the arctic circle, or in the middle of the oceans.
In other words, we live in a sea of EMFs today, thanks mainly to modern radio and microwave technologies to which we are accustomed. Even in very rural areas, one may encounter stray EMFs that are natural in origin, or that may be manmade, such as radar installations and other military or other installations.
Naturally–occurring EMFs are not too common, but are due to the presence of underground streams or rivers, underground mineral deposits, or other natural phenomena. These are sometimes called natural geopathic stress lines or formations.
Types and sources of EMFs.
Most EMFs are in the radio frequency and microwave ranges. Common sources are all portable and cell phones, and cell phone towers (which are often disguised as telephone poles or even rocks or cactus plants). These are multiplying because utilities are being paid or bribed to set up more and more of them, even when they are redundant and not needed. This is horrible, and the public is often not aware of them, although some websites may publish their locations. They often ruin the value of one’s home because a cell phone tower too close to the home can make the home unlivable for some people.
So-called smart electrical meters are a newer threat, and a bad one. These are new electrical meters that are being installed on homes and businesses. Instead of requiring a person to read the meter, the meter contains a radio transmitter that sends the data directly from the home to a central location. This requires a fairly powerful radio transmitter that is located right at your home and work place.
Even more sinister,
these devices may transmit up to 10 frequencies, day and night, which seem to be particularly harmful for some people. Some would say they are weaponized, meaning they are very harmful for some people to be around or even close to.
Some states allow one to refuse such a meter on one’s home, while other states in America require that you accept the meter. However, even if you can refuse it on your home, your neighbors may have one that is broadcasting right into your home. Also, your place of work may have one, as well. Laws must be changed to stop the implementation of these devices, which are far too powerful to be placed close to human populations.
Other sources. Other common sources are wi-fi units or wireless modems and routers found in most homes, offices, apartment buildings and everywhere today. They are on computers, printers, scanners, fax machines, telephone systems and elsewhere. These are generally less powerful than cell phone and smart meter technology, but add more EMFs to the environment.
Other sources include high-voltage power lines and line transformers found on power poles. In addition, fields are found around any electrical and gasoline motors found in appliances such as refrigerators, and in automobiles, aircraft, ship and others.
Other sources are fluorescent lights, light dimmer switches, and television sets, especially flat-screen televisions and computer monitors. These can give off quite large and upsetting electromagnetic fields. Always sit as far away from these as possible.
Other sources are radar installations, usually near airports and military bases, and radio and television transmission towers that are usually located on top of tall buildings or on the tops of hills or mountain areas.
Underground wiring can also emit electrical fields, as can other types of underground installations such as in-floor electric heating wires and in-floor water-filled tubing used to heat homes. Even simple home plumbing and standard electrical wiring emits some stray electrical energies. 220-volt installations are usually worse than 110-volt appliances.
All far infrared saunas and other far-infrared appliances such as heating pads, cooktops, and beds also emit stray EMFs that can be powerful enough to upset some people’s health. In contrast, near infrared lights or heat lamps of the type I recommend for use in saunas do not emit any noticeable fields that I am aware of, or they emit much less.
X-rays. Another type of electromagnetic radiation are x-rays, which are simply a higher frequency of radiation. These are much more damaging to human tissue, and are much more penetrating and permanent in their damage. The major sources are all x-ray machines used in medical and dental offices, airports and perhaps package screening locations.
Other sources include living near nuclear power plants or in areas with naturally occurring x-radiation emissions from radon gas. Living near uranium mining sites or nuclear waste dump sites are other sources of radiation toxicity. The radiation can affect drinking water, for example, and other things like food. Minimize all of these for best health.
Other frequencies of energy are emitted by some electrical and magnetic equipment, even medical equipment, but these are usually of less importance.
Geopathic stress. A different type of subtle EMFs are produced in some areas of the planet and are related to underground rivers and currents of water.
Mental and/or emotional fields. I include these because although they are very subtle, they are also very real and they affect some people. They are extremely high frequency fields that are emitted when a person is upset, angry, depressed or otherwise out of sorts. They can affect anyone, but particularly children and very sensitive adults.
They are found in some homes, at work, and the worst are at schools. This is why we do not advise sending young children, or perhaps any children, off to school, thinking that the social interaction or other aspects of the school are so wonderful that you can overlook other problems, including this one. Most children today are severely malnourished, the homes they come from are chaotic, and so they emit or radiate a harmful energy that your child will pick up easily in too many cases.
Psychotronic or radionic fields. These are similar to those above, but they are intentionally produced by machines, usually to upset people. They are very dangerous, at times, almost impossible to detect, and are used as a weapon of war. They are being used continuously today throughout the world by various governments and others, mainly to upset, anger, scare and sicken people. This subject is discussed in a separate article entitled Psychotronic Warfare.
THE THRESHOLD AND SPREADING PHENOMENA
Critical to understand is that EMFs may seem to cause little damage until one reaches a threshold level. One never knows when this level will be reached.
Another important concept with EMFs is that of spreading. This is a curious fact that once one becomes sensitive to EMFs, one seems to become sensitive to them from many sources. For example, one may be fine until one buys a large screen TV, or a smart meter is installed nearby. Then, mysteriously, one suddenly becomes sickened not only by these, but by other stray EMFs found in wi-fi, or from a formerly “safe” computer screen or something else.
GENERAL HEALTH AND EMF SENSITIVITY
While I cannot prove it conclusively, I believe that people in poorer health may be more affected by EMFs than some others. It is also possible that these people just feel the effects more than others, particularly if the adrenal glands are weak.
Toxic metals in the body can also act sort of as antennas that worsen the effects of some EMFs. This is important because the load of toxic metals can be reduced significantly with a nutritional balancing program. I do not recommend chelation therapy, as it is not powerful enough, and it is not safe enough. Nutritional balancing can lower toxic metals much more over time than can chelation therapy, in my experience. For more on this topic, read Chelation Therapy on this website.
MICROWAVES AND CELL PHONE RESEARCH
The main difficulty with cell phones, portable phones, smart meters, wi-fi, cell phone base stations and relay stations is the frequency range in which they operate. Microwave radiation is quite penetrating, even at low power. This is why your cell phone will work inside buildings and garages, and even in tunnels and other underground structures at times. While it is an advantage for phone communication, it also means that the waves easily penetrate your cranium and can affect the brain and other organs and structures.
Here is summary of studies that have shown increased risk of brain tumors and other problems due to cell phone and mobile phone use. For the details of these studies, go to the website of the Physicians and Scientists for Responsible Application of Science and Technology (PSRAST) at http://www.psrast.org/mobileng/mobilstarteng.htm – summary.
- Finnish research confirms increased brain cancer risk from cell phones.
- Threefold increased cancer risk found among people in the vicinity of a GSM-base station.
- New Austrian research confirms health effects of base station radiation. Significant effects on wellbeing and psychological test performance found at levels far below recommended radiation intensity.
- Mobile Phone Tower causing brain tumors? The top floors of a Melbourne office building were closed down and 100 people evacuated after a seventh worker in as many years was diagnosed with a brain tumor.
- DNA is damaged by mobile phone radiation.
- Large study reports 100% increase of malignant brain tumor risk.
- Three European studies indicate increased brain tumor risk.
HOW TO AVOID OR REDUCE ELECTROMAGNETIC EXPOSURE
Avoiding electromagnetic stress is becoming more and more difficult today. It is especially challenging in cities, where cell phone towers, automobiles, and cell and portable phones are used extensively. Here are some general suggestions to minimize your exposure and to counter electromagnetic fields:
1. If possible, live in a rural area, as there are generally fewer sources of EM exposure in these areas. This is not always true, but tends to be the case.
2. Refuse to allow a smart meter on your home. This is important.
3. If possible, live in a detached residence such as a house, rather than an apartment. The reason is simply that the higher the density of population, such as in apartments, the more likely there will be sources of EM fields such as computers, television sets and others.
4. Check to make sure you are not living too close to a cell phone tower and to high tension power lines. Internet sites can tell you where cell phone towers are located in your area. They are often disguised as trees, sculptures and even telephone poles, so you cannot tell just by looking around where they all are.
5. Minimize cell phone and portable phone use. A recent study in England revealed increased incidence of brain tumors in the area of the brain near where the phone is held.
If possible, use simple corded phones, as these give off much less radiation. If you must use portable or cell phones, use a headset or speakerphone with them and keep your conversations as short as possible. Also, turn off the phone when not needed. Some say one should not wear the phone on the body, if possible, but rather carry them in a purse or briefcase to keep them away from the body. I do not know how important this is, providing the telephone is not in use.
Also, limit the time of your cell or cordless phone calls to less than 15 minutes, if at all possible. This also limits your exposure.
Some phones are much safer than others. According to recent research reported at www.Mercola.com, Sprint and Verizon phones (technically called a CDMA network) are much better than the others such as AT&T, T-Mobile, and the rest). These others used pulsed microwaves, that researchers say is worse.
6. Computers. Sit as far away as possible from computers, and do not use large computer monitors at your desk. Laptop computer screens are often best, as they are lower power screens.
If you use a laptop computer, buy an external keyboard and mouse and use these as often as possible so you can sit further away from the machine. Enlarge the print, if needed, so you can see it.
An idea that will help with computer usage is to ground yourself. Attach a piece of lamp cord to the middle screw on an electrical outlet. Attach the other end to your skin, such as tucking it inside your sock so the bare wire touches your skin.
Also, if you use computers a lot, drive a car a lot or travel on planes, go out into the sun for a few minutes whenever possible. This may also slightly reduce the damage of electromagnetic stress.
If you use a computer a lot, install above your head or behind you a reddish, 250-watt heat lamp. These are sold at most hardware, Home Depot, Lowe’s and other outlets where electrical objects are sold. You will need a socket designed for a 250-watt bulb. Do not shine it directly on your head, however, but away from the head on your body.
7. Do not travel too much, and avoid air travel, in particular. Although automobiles, buses and trains all emit some electromagnetic fields, the worst form of travel from this perspective is by air. Airplanes have many radar, radio, microwave and engine-related electromagnetic fields that can affect the passengers and crew. Also, the x-ray machines at the airports and baggage handling stations are not healthful.
Air travel also exposes you to many germs from other passengers, especially on long flights. In almost all the airplanes today, the air is recycled so you are exposed to many pathogens that other people are carrying. For much more about this subject, read Traveling Safely on this website.
8. Television sets. For most people, the newer flat-screen LCD televisions emit a lot more harmful EMFs than the older CRT (cathode ray tube) televisions. I much prefer the old ones, though they are hard to find, at times.
Always sit back as far away as possible from televisions, especially the large ones. Projection TV sets may be better, but I do not find them any better.
Turn off all electrical appliances in the home, especially near where you sleep, when you go to bed. Do not leave the television on when you go to bed, for example, or have an automatic shut off so the TV goes off after a while.
9. If you have trouble sleeping, and perhaps are sensitive to EM fields, try turning off the electrical power in your bedroom area when you go to sleep. If the experiment works, an electrician could probably install a cutoff switch for the bedroom area to make it easier.
10. Fluorescent lights. Some people are very sensitive to fluorescent lights. I am not sure whether the problem is the light frequency or EMFs, or both. Try to avoid using these close to you.
If you must work or live under standard fluorescent lights all day, set up a full spectrum bulb shining on you, if possible, so balance the light rays. Full spectrum fluorescent tubes are also available and are better, if you can install them in your work area.
11. Red infrared heat lamps. If possible, have some reddish infrared heat lamps positioned around your home. They will purify certain frequencies of energy in the home.
12. Auto EMF emissions. Some cars give off large electromagnetic fields, particularly near the motor. The only way to check is with an EMF meter. This would only be a problem if you drive long distances.
13. Try grounding or earthing yourself. A company sells grounding pads for your bed and your office area. Check under the heading of ‘Earthing’ on Google or other search engines. Sites include www.earthing.com and www.earthing.net.
14. Go to bed early and stay well nourished. A lot of the sensitivity people feel in regards to EM fields is caused by fatigue, malnourishment, dehydration and other aspects of poor health.
15. A properly designed nutritional balancing program may reduce extreme EM sensitivity in most cases by restoring proper mineral nutrition and rebuilding the adrenal glands, which help us handle all types of stressors.
However, it will not stop some types of EMF sensitivity because some types are just harmful for everyone. For more on nutritional balancing, read Introduction To Nutritional Balancing on this website.
16. Use devices to shield or divert EMFs. For example, these include such devices as Quantum Pendants, or a Q-Link pendant. They are not perfect, but may help. The Quantum Pendant is actually more powerful and much less expensive. Many other devices claim to reduce EM fields, but I have not tested them all. They all probably work to some degree.
This article is riposted from http://www.drlwilson.com/ARTICLES/ELECTROMAGNETEICS.htm
An excellent website with much more information and some good products is http://www.emfdoctors.com.
George Louis Carlo, Ph.D., Martin Schram “Cell phones: Invisible hazards in the wireless age: An Insider’s Alarming Discoveries about Cancer and Genetic Damage.”
Mercola.com runs a lot of excellent articles on cell phone and other EMF hazards.